Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Well Now, This is Just Lovely...

In light of our kitchen remodel looming in a few months, I recently wrote to the kitchn, wondering if we should go the IKEA route for our cabinets. I received some wonderful advice from the editorial team and the readers, and I think we're going to go with it! For the most part at least... more on that later...
And now, they've posted this beautiful kitchen by two Swedish architects. It is always so refreshing to see such a beautiful, functional, and comfortable looking kitchen. As a subscriber (sort of) to Architectural Digest, I feel too often that kitchens are so stuffy and formal that I wonder if people actually cook in them or it it's just for show? Like a status symbol or some other such nonsense because I certainly would not want to spend more than 10 minutes in something like this:












beautiful though it is, it's just not my taste. via: here

As part of my
mammoth living room organization project, I was organizing photos (for days). What I noticed was that a solid majority of pictures of me as a child were taken in the kitchen! Now, we lived in a (very) small home in Odessa, TX and trust me, it was nothing fancy. But my mom was a cook, and we had a little breakfast nook in our kitchen, and as a result, a lot of my playing was done in there. A kitchen really is the ultimate family room. In fact, now that I think of it, most of my happiest and most vivid memories are either of me playing on the kitchen floor, or baking with my grandmothers or Aunt Dete, or sitting on the counter, bathing my little cousin in the kitchen sink, etc., etc., etc. So much time has been spent in kitchens in my family that it really motivates me to make our new (future) kitchen the most comfortable and welcoming room in our home.
This kitchen represents that to me:

click here for more pictures and to read the full post.

And now, for your viewing pleasure are some more beautiful and welcoming and decidedly "un-fancy" kitchens from around the blogosphere. Happy looking!




via apartment therapy, I think...











via chez larsson














via: Cookie (sniff)








And finally:







Yes, this is a little me. Sorry for the grainy low light photo, can you believe this is what we did back then? God bless digital cameras!










P.S. Sorry for the delay in posting the finished and organized built ins, but I'm still not finished! One thing led to another, and, well, you know how it goes. But I will share that soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment