Friday, February 5, 2010

Mmmm.... Pie...


So what does one do when the dreary gray February days start to drag you down?
What about if you gag at the mere mention of a root vegetable?
Well, I suppose you could buy some fresh flowers, watch a Wes Anderson movie, or maybe unpack some summer clothes, but me? I make pie.
Specifically, I make Aunt Dete's Shrimp Boat Buttermilk Chess Pie.
Here in the south, we tend to eat our fair share of pies. But this... well, this is my favorite pie. You see, in my family, we have birthday pie in lieu of cake.
My great grandmother made a pie every day of her life. She passed her love for pies down to my Great Aunt Dete. Every birthday, Aunt Dete would make us our very own birthday pie. Each person has their own favorite pie: cherry (Brooke), coconut cream (Debbie), lemon chess (GrandNan), and buttermilk chess. Buttermilk chess was my pie. This pie is so incredibly easy and quick to make it will blow your mind. Don't believe me? Read on.
In the 50s in Odessa, TX; Aunt Dete worked at a restaurant called the Shrimp Boat. This recipe originated there. My Aunt, in her infinite wisdom, got the recipe before the restaurant closed and has been making it for us ever since, and the recipe has not changed (except that the original recipe made 12 pies). It's kind of her trademark and a family tradition.
Having said all of that, this pie is so unbelievably delicious, I would be cruel to not share it. So here it is, my gift to you, Aunt Dete's Shrimp Boat Buttermilk Chess Pie.

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
2/3 cup warm buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 Tablespoons flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 pie crust

Bring the pie crust to room temperature, so it doesn't crack when you unroll it.
Lay said crust in your pie pan and crimp the edges like so:

Mix eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla in mixer. Pour in sugar, flour, and salt until it looks like this:


Pour mixture into raw, un-pierced pie crust.
Pop it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. (Careful, it sloshes)

Now, about 25 minutes in you'll begin to notice a distinctly heavenly aroma wafting out of your kitchen. This is completely normal.
At this point, you may also want to cover the crust with a pie shield or some aluminum foil folded around the edges so the crust doesn't burn.

Once the pie is done, it will be golden, brown and delicious and the top may have cracked.
Now for the hardest part...

Wait at least 30 minutes before digging in. 45 would be even better. Don't worry, it will still be warm and amazing melt in your mouth creaminess when the time is up and the wait is well worth it...


Mmmmmm.
See? I won't say I told you so...

No comments:

Post a Comment