Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Perfect Quote From A Perfect Lady!

Over at decor8 this morning, Holly highlighted a lovely interview with Deborah Needleman. You know, of domino fame? (*sniff)
I thought this quote just really fit what I was feeling with my earlier post about kitchens: (about who inspires her- Deborah)

People with great style who live easily and happily with it. Many seemingly stylish people are pretty awful — fussy and uptight. But I am interested in style that is expansive, that makes lives more beautiful and the people in your life happier. This goes back I guess to the team we put together at domino: I am really inspired by many of the people there like Rita Konig, Dara Caponigro, Sara Costello, Stella Bugbee. I am also really inspired by women who are focused, smart and accomplish a lot while never becoming one of those scary businesswomen, if that makes any sense.”

*sniff, sniff*
This really kind of sums up how I am sure most of us feel; regarding our homes especially.
Sure it's more of a challenge to painstakingly acquire all of the right accessories, and find individual pieces that work together than it is to order an entire room out of a catalog, but the end result is so much more enjoyable because everything has meaning! I look at my friends and their homes (here's looking at you Julie) and I feel like we have rather similar tastes, and we may love the same AT Home Tours, or shop at the same stores, but the end result is so different for each of us!
That's what I truly loved, and miss, about Domino. Every page and every space was a celebration of what makes different styles great! It was less about having a perfectly decorated and symmetrical space and more about having a beautiful, comfortable, personal home that you enjoyed.
Oh Deborah! We miss you so!!!

Read on about this and more of Deborah's perfectness here
*sniff!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you mentioned me on your blog! I feel famous!

    Great interview and I agree with everything you wrote. Domino is what made me passionate about interior design by showing that it was more about achieving personal style, rather than perfection.

    Btw, Rita Konig is writing a column for the NY Times now. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete