Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Interior Inspiration

One of my favorite past times when I am feeling particularly un-inspired is to rifle through my inspiration folders (imagine that!). As I do this, I usually end up feeling more confused as I realize that my personal aesthetic is really all over the place and that I not only have I not found my style identity, but my home suffers from the same. To further illustrate my point, all of these photos came from the same file:

can someone please tell me where I found this photo???




I love all of these. More specifically, I love elements of all of these.
Let me explain further:
We moved into our 1920 craftsman a year ago. We moved from a fairly new and much more modern loft. The majority of our furnishings were right at home in our loft. Now the majority of our furnishings look silly in our much older home. So, I have yet to sort out the personality of our new home.
Our condo was your average college sophomore. He had already learned the ropes on campus, established himself in the group that hangs out in front of the library between classes, sipping coffee and sketching passers by. He shopped at Urban Outfitters and smoked the occasional joint on the weekends (yes I am still talking about our home). He was equal parts 90s green-grunge and 2000s hipster. Have I made my point? Should I continue?
Our new home is beautiful. Old. Character all of her own. She had a personality before we hung the first painting on the wall. She's sweet, sophisticated, welcoming, and family oriented. She's basically our condo's 30-40 something mother. She's been there, done that, and is ready for something new (again, still referring to the house).
And Eric and I? Well, we're kind of in transition still. And with a new baby, new house, new life basically we are still trying to piece everything together and make sure it all fits.
I'm sure we're not the only ones who have ever had this problem. Anyone else? Does your home suffer from an identity crisis? How long did it take for you to find your home's personality?

P.S. I just realized that the last issue of domino was all about decorating as you grow up. Maybe I need to give that another look, I just gave it a good once over last year as I was still pissed that it was the last issue. *sniff*

P.P.S. Until I get photo shop on my computer I have to post photos like this, sorry. I know it makes for a rather lengthy post. Hopefully I will have a solution soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment